UX – PetVet

A Mobile App for Pet Owners

A responsive mobile phone app designed to make it easy for users to find and schedule appointments with a veterinarian, and to allow chat and video visit functionality.

My Role

Project Lead


User research, design, wireframing, prototyping

User Research Findings

After discussing the idea for this app with several pet owners, I came to the following conclusions:

  • Many users would prefer to set up appointments with their veterinarians using an app, as opposed to having to call the office. Beyond convenience, this also aids users who may have disabilities or difficulty using the telephone.
  • Some pet owners would opt for video visits if their concern was minor, as opposed to stressing out their pet by bringing it into the animal hospital.

Low Fidelity Prototype

The low fidelity prototype highlights the user flow of finding and booking a veterinarian. This prototype was used for the first usability study.

Usability Study Findings

After performing a usability study with five participants, there were several insights that were identified as priorities for improvement.

  • Many users had difficulties with the scrolling functionality, with some not even realizing that it existed, so our goal was to improve this feature. It is worth noting that this may have been a symptom of testing the mobile app on a desktop computer, and would have been more readily apparent on a phone.
  • The ratings and availability information were useful to users when selecting a veterinarian, so they will be expanded and made more prominent. Users wanted to see more than just a star rating, but full reviews to provide better context.
  • Users also felt some information, like phone numbers, felt missing, so they will be added. There was also some minor confusion about the navigation, so it will be consolidated and made more visually appealing.
  • Users with exotic pets also wanted to search by animal type, so this filter will be added to the search functionality.

Mockups: Incorporating Findings From the Usability Study

Throughout the process I aimed to streamline the flow and make the app easier and more intuitive for users.

The navigation was consolidated, and filtering by animal type was added.



Mockups: Incorporating Findings From the Usability Study

Because finding a well rated veterinarian to take care of their pet was very important to users, we created a way to see full length reviews, and not just a general star rating.

Some users felt that some information like phone number was missing, so we made sure that all relevant info, like phone, services, types of animals treated, hours, and a map were all included!

High Fidelity Prototype: An Updated Look

After a second round of usability testing, I opted to update the interface of the app to give it a more fresh, modern appearance.

Instead of the “sketchy” drawing type look, the new design has more prominent photography, including some of my own images.





High Fidelity Prototype: Selected Screens

The prototype had a randomly loading splash screen, this screen being a photo of my cat Bubsy!
I wanted the app to be more than just a place to schedule appointments, but a resource for pet owners about all sorts of health topics.
Almost all the cats pictured in the app were cats that I’ve petsat for in the past!
The components that formed the navigation doubled as both an attractive hover effect, as well as a visual cue as to which section of the site you were using.


PetVet can be an effective tool:
All five users that participated in the usability study said they would use an app like PetVet to schedule appointments for their own pets.

What I Learned

This project was my first experience in using Figma to create wireframes, mockups, and prototypes, and I enjoyed learning how to create some of the more nuanced details that really make my prototypes shine! One example of this being the navigation highlighted above.

This project was also my first opportunity to perform a usability study. It was definitely interesting to see users interact with the prototype (sometimes in ways I never expected!) and then to use the results to iterate on the design.